Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Newlywed Must Haves!

Okay so there are tons and tons of things that newlyweds need. The obvious of course is those things to run a house hold, but I'm not referring to those things. I am referring to things more upon the lines of building your relationships. I have a couple of friend of mine who just got married about a year ago now and some of them have really struggled. My heart aches for them. I love them and pray that they will be able to get through these hard times. Trust me I am no where near the expert on dealing with the changes that being a newlywed brings but I have found a couple of items that have helped me and Jake thus far in our marriage.

The first wonderful find we bought before we were officially engaged. This being my second marriage I wanted to make sure I understood who I was going to marry. I am not very good and being able to ask the right questions at times, but this book helped emencly and we discussed what we wanted for our future. Before we were engaged we were planning our marriage. This is the course of action we took not only before but during as well. We discussed where we would live and if something happened to our parents what we would do. How we would spend money. What our goals were, our hopes, and dreams. This book helped us discuss these and many more topics. I was shocked at the detailed questions it gave. It was a perfect fit for Jake and I. By the time we were finished we knew each others strength and weaknesses better and now had a plan in which to improve our future, and to make our goals come true. If I had the funds I would give it to every couple I knew and will know that is seriously looking into getting hitched.

This is another book that I love. I actually owned it before I got married. It is great to read together as a couple but if your spouse is too busy it is still incredibly useful for you to read alone as well. It's very educational. Jake doesn't have much time for reading but I can ask him anything and he is more than willing to answer. This is something that I found important for myself because I didn't understand before reading this how exactly I felt loved, therefore if I don't know how am I supposed to help those around me know as well. Learn how you feel loved and learn how your spouse feels most loved and practice on doing those things for each other.

This is becoming a new favorite of mine. This was one of the gifts from my wonderful friend and maid-of-honor Stephanie. It is filled with cute 'couple fhe' discussions and activities. It even has some that you can include a couple of your married friends along. FHE in the church is so wrapped around kids it's so nice to have this book full of ideas that would just for the two of us. I know that after the first year of marriage I will have to get a little more creative on FHE night, but I'm so grateful for this book. Most of the activities cost little to nothing which is a must have for newlyweds such as ourselves. Every time we pull this book out we grow closer together as a couple. I LOVE it!

No comments:

Post a Comment