Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Baking Soda Miracles

B.S. Paste
 Miracle #1: Cleaning Stove Top Burners

I have had issues with my burners for several weeks now. I think I made the mistake of cleaning them with a disinfecting. Every time I used a burner the whole house would smell of this awful chemical stench. Instead of the smell of a yummy meal when my hubby got home he could tell I cooked by these awful smell in the air. It was awful and it gave me a migraine Every time I cooked.





I finally did something about it. First I made some simple baking soda paste. Baking soda + water and mix.

Next I plastered the paste on each of the burners. Front and back. Unfortunately for me my burners couldn't be removed from the stove, but if you can do so I would highly recommend it. It will make the process much easier in the long run. Just be careful not to get any of the electrical area wet.

Then I Waited.... letting it sit for a good 20 minutes.
Front.
Back.
After 20 minutes.
Can you see the discoloration?

----------------------------------------------------->

Gross!!




I then placed paper towels under each burner to catch the water.( After going through several paper towels I went to using rags instead. )

Then I took my scrubber that had Dawn dish soap and scrubbed at the burners. Trying to remove all gunk and paste.





After scrubbing off what I could. I then took a rag and water and washed off the rest of the paste.

This part took the most time as you need to be careful about the amount of water used in this project.

Once stove is completely dry it was good as new.
Yeah!



Miracle #2: Removing urine smell in bathroom.


One of the unpleasant trees of renting in an apartment is that you have no control over how the person before you lived. I like to imagine that it was a little boy learning how to use the bathroom and that's why our bathroom always seemed to smell of urine even after I have cleaned it on a regular basis.

So I decided to use the same Baking Soda Paste I used to clean our to and tackled our toilet, floor and walls near the toilet.

Make sure to use some gloves while doing this project. It can get pretty nasty.

I hope you can see I caked on the paste in every nook and cranny.
 Even the bottom, back, sides, and front. Where ever I thought that a splash could reach.

 Though I don't have a picture of it. I also got the walls and cabinet next to the toilet as well.



Once again I let it sit. This time I waited 45 minutes, though you probably only have to wait 20 for more minor smells. Since I felt like I was walking into a boys locker room every time I got ready in the morning. I decided to wait it out a while longer.


Next I took a scrubber (a different scrubber then the one used in the kitchen; which I threw out afterwards.) I put dish soap and added Clorox bleach in it as well.

I scrubbed.


And


Scrubbed.


See all the fun bubbles.:) I like seeing bubbles makes me feel like its working.

The last steps are simple. Finish cleaning as you would any other time you had cleaned the toilet. I used wipes since I don't like rewashing rags once they have touched the toilet. I guess I'm a little OCD that way.

I also hand mopped the floor with wipes.

Once the floor dried. I then swept up any remaining baking soda that was left behind. Brought out my mop and mopped the whole floor again.

I wasn't good about taking a before and after picture,sorry,
but I promise you..
that
toilet
has
never
looked so white.

The best part is...NO more stinky bathroom. Wahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment